Professor Gatchev is an Associate Professor at the Department of Finance of the UCF College of Business. Prior to joining the department, he was a full-time faculty member at Tulane University.
Professor Gatchev’s research interests are in the areas of Corporate Finance, Investment Banking, Innovation, Stock Market Liquidity, and Corporate Governance. Some of his research explores the role of investment banks in the market for equity issues. Another part of his research studies corporate investment, financing, and payout decisions while modeling the joint nature of these decisions. Professor Gatchev also has done work on corporate innovation, stock market liquidity, financial analysts, and corporate governance.
Professor Gatchev’s research has been published in top-tier academic journals, including the Journal of Finance, Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Research Policy, Journal of Corporate Finance, Journal of Banking and Finance and others. His work has been presented at numerous conferences and seminars around the world.
SELECTED RESEARCH & PUBLICATIONS
- “A Language-Based Approach to Measuring Creative Exploration” with Christo Pirinsky and Buvaneshwaran Venugopal, Research Policy (forthcoming).
- “The Liquidity Risk of REITs” with Jeffrey DiBartolomeo and David Harrison, Journal of Real Estate Research, 43, 2021, 47-95
- “How Firms Use Director Networks in Setting CEO Pay” with Ian Cherry, Financial Review, 54, 2019, 501-540.
- “Prestige without Purpose? Reputation, Differentiation, and Pricing in US Equity Underwriting” with Chitru Fernando, Anthony May, and William Megginson, Journal of Corporate Finance, 32, 2015, 41-63.
- “IPO Offer Price Selection, Institutional Subscription, and the Value of the Firm: Theory and Evidence” with Chitru Fernando and Paul Spindt, Handbook of Research on IPOs, 2013.
- “Institutional Ownership, Analyst Following, and Share Prices” with Chitru Fernando and Paul Spindt, Journal of Banking and Finance, 36, 2012, 2175-2189.
- “Geographic Proximity and Price Discovery: Evidence from Nasdaq” with Amber Anand, Leonardo Madureira, Christo Pirinsky, and Shane Underwood, Journal of Financial Markets, 14, 2011, 193-226.
- “The Interdependent and Intertemporal Nature of Financial Decisions: An Application to Cash Flow Sensitivities” with Todd Pulvino and Vefa Tarhan, Journal of Finance, 65, 2010, 725-763.
- “How Do Firms Finance Their Investments? The Relative Importance of Equity Issuance and Debt Contracting Costs” with Paul Spindt and Vefa Tarhan, Journal of Corporate Finance, 15, 2009, 179-195.
- “The Role of Underwriter-Investor Relationships in the IPO Process” with Murat Binay and Christo Pirinsky, Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, 42, 2007, 785-810.
- “Stock Market Liquidity and Firm Dividend Policy” with Suman Banerjee and Paul Spindt, Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, 42, 2007, 369-397.