Master of Sport Business Management (MSBM)
The DeVos Sport Business Management Program is an integrative “living classroom” with a rigorous and comprehensive academic schedule that keeps teams of students together throughout their coursework. Additionally, graduates will discover the role of sport in society; how the power of sport can help create a more inclusive society; and the responsibility of sport to use that power to make a difference.
We admit students based on their total package of academic success, professional and community service experience, commitment to teamwork, and other factors that show the admissions committee if the applicant is a good fit for the DeVos Program. The endowment for the program is a $2.5 million gift by Mr. & Mrs. DeVos, which has been matched by the State of Florida. The endowment, in addition to the donated scholarships, has allowed the program to have either scholarships or graduate assistant positions for all students.
|August 24, 2015||48 credit-hours||approx. 30-40 students||5 sessions over 18 months.|
Courses will start either at 8:30 a.m. or 10:30 a.m. and last three hours each Monday through Thursday. The coursework will allow students to develop integrated marketing and sales plans, design a business plan, optimize the use of technology, implement fundraising strategies, and carry out the research necessary to become a leader in the world of sport.
Students, working in cohort teams as part of the program’s holistic approach to developing the next generation of leaders in sport business, must complete 42 hours of community service each semester with the exception of the summer on a designated program, which allows them to experience the powerful positive impact of volunteerism and its benefits to individuals, organizations and the community at large.
There is a three credit hour internship that students must participate in upon completion of all coursework to obtain the Master’s in Sport Business Management. Assistance in obtaining internships and community service will be provided by the program. Students are also expected to attend conferences and events; in addition, they are expected to coordinate events while in the program.
Dual-Degree Option: MBA & MSBM
The faculty of the College of Business has approved that DeVos students can earn two degrees. All graduates will earn a Master’s in Sport Business Management. Students can also apply to the MBA Program and complete two additional courses (51 Total Credit Hours Required) and be awarded an MBA. The student must earn a grade of B (3.0) or higher in all MBA courses taken, otherwise the student’s provisional admission to the MBA program will be revoked.
Applications are accepted throughout the year. However, admission will only be granted in the fall for this specialized program. For more information regarding admission requirements go to UCF Graduate Admissions.
Request official transcripts.
If you are not a UCF graduate, official transcripts from each college or university attended must be sent directly to: University of Central Florida, College of Graduate Studies, P.O. Box 160112, Orlando, FL 32816.
Complete the online application at graduate.ucf.edu, and remit the $30 application fee.
Upload your current resume into your application before submitting.
Write a goal statement of no more than 1,000 words addressing the following:
- Why are you applying for the DeVos Program? Have you applied to other sport business management programs?
- What is there about your work experiences and academic preparation that makes you confident that you will succeed in the world of sports business?
- Identify, based on what you have read or observed, one or two of the most critical challenges facing sport business leaders this decade.
- Describe one or two life experiences – related to social issues, diversity, ethics, etc. – that influence your expectations about the DeVos Program.
- Explain the impact that community service activities have made on you and others.
- What are your five- and ten-year career objectives and how will this assist you in reaching your objectives?
Provide three signed and sealed letters of recommendation in your application from academic or professional sources.
As soon as your application is complete, you will be contacted to schedule an interview.
International Applicants Only:
- If your degree was not received in the U.S. you must also send one copy of each transcript to an accredited evaluation service for a course-by-course evaluation showing the equivalent of a U.S. bachelor’s degree. We require either World Education Services (WES) or Josef Silny.
- The TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language) is required of all applicants whose native language is not English, and do not have a degree from a U.S. institution or English instruction institution. A minimum score of 577 paper-based; 233 computer-based; or 90-91 Internet-based; 7.0 IELTS is required.